- More Detail Here:
- Industrial Relations Policies
By Michael Freeman, M.A.
Do you feel like your partner is standing in your way? Do you have the strong desire to break-up, but you feel stuck? This article discusses what to do when you want to break-up, but — for whatever reason — you can’t.
– Why Can’t You Leave? –
Relationships are a choice. Or at least, they should be. Sometimes, we realize that a relationship is no longer working, but we stay anyway. There are many reasons why people stay stuck in relationships they no longer want, including:
* Guilt — You can’t bear the thought of hurting our parnter
* Loyalty — You’ve invested so much and have a long history with them, even if it’s a bad history
* Misplaced priorities — You feel that your partner’s needs are more important than your own
* Expectations – – You don’t want to disappoint your family or your partner’s family by breaking up
* Financial or logistical reasons — You don’t have the money to leave, you live together, or you have a child together (sometimes a good reason to maintain a relationship, but not always)
* He or she will “freak out” — You fear your partner’s reaction to the news
If your partner stands in the way of you living a fulfilling life, you probably need to leave. That doesn’t mean disregarding commitments and responsibilities, but if you should never feel trapped in a life you don’t want. All relationships require some amount of sacrifice, but giving up the possibility for happiness is not part of the deal.
Many people find themselves staying simply for their partner’s benefit. This is a mistake — it’s not only unfair to you, it’s unfair to your partner, who deserves someone who truly wants to be with him or her.
– Taking the first step –
Leaving may seem impossible at times, but you can do it, regardless of your circumstances. The first step is accepting that you will have to take action to change your situation. The longer you wait, the more invested in the relationship you both become. You’re wasting you and your partners time.
You probably have been thinking of different disaster scenarios that may happen when you leave. Stop! It’s not going to be nearly as bad as you imagine. Yes, hurt feelings are often inevitable, but with just a little planning and consideration, you can guarantee that you can breakup without fear.
– What now? –
Have the courage to at least explore the possibility that there is a way to breakup without fear — you won’t regret it. If you feel stuck in an unhappy relationship, and you don’t know how to get out, see my resources. My breakup guides will lead you step-by-step in the break up process, minimizing pain for you both. Stop imaging the worst — get my guide and get on with your life: See the websites listed below.
About the Author: Michael Freeman, M.A., helps women and men get FREEDOM from unhappy relationships. Ladies can find breakup guidance
:www.LeavingHim.com , and men can find